Am 2023-08-29 21:31, schrieb Felix Palmen:
* Shawn Webb <shawn.w...@hardenedbsd.org> [20230829 15:25]:

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/HardenedBSD/-/commit/96c85982b45e44a6105664c7068a92d0a61da2a3

> > > Hopefully that's useful to someone.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > FWIW (which likely isn't much), I like this approach much better; it makes
> > more sense to me that it's a feature controlled by the creator of the jail
> > and not one allowed just by using a compat ABI within a jail.
>
> Well, a typical GNU userland won't work in a jail without this, that's
> what I know now. But I'm certainly with you, it doesn't feel logical
> that a Linux binary can do something in a jail a FreeBSD binary can't.
>
> So, indeed, making it a jail option sounds better.
>
> Unless, bringing back a question raised earlier in this thread: What's
> the reason to restrict this in a jailed context in the first place? IOW,
> could it just be allowed unconditionally?

In HardenedBSD's case, since we use filesystem extended attributes to
toggle exploit mitigations on a per-application basis, there's now a
conceptual security boundary between the host and the jail.

Should the jail and the host share resources, like executables, a
jailed process could toggle an exploit mitigation, and the toggle
would bubble up to the host. So the next time the host executed
/shared/app/executable/here, the security posture of the host would be
affected.

Isn't the sane approach here *not* to share any executables with a jail
other than via a read-only nullfs mount?

In https://reviews.freebsd.org/D40370 I provide infrastructure to automatically jail rc.d services. It will use the complete filesystem of the system, but uses all the other restrictions of jails. So the answer to your questions is "it depends".

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF