Am 2024-01-10 22:49, schrieb Mark Millard:

I never use atime, always noatime, for UFS. That said, I'd never propose
changing the long standing defaults for commands and calls. I'd avoid:

[good points I fully agree on]

There's one possibility which nobody talked about yet... changing the default to noatime at install time in fstab / zfs set.

I fully agree to not violate POLA by changing the default to noatime in any FS. I always set noatime everywhere on systems I take care about, no exceptions (any user visible mail is handled via maildir/IMAP, not mbox). I haven't made up my mind if it would be a good idea to change bsdinstall to set noatime (after asking the user about it, and later maybe offer the possibility to use relatime in case it gets implemented). I think it is at least worthwile to discuss this possibility (including what the default setting of bsdinstall should be for this option).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF