Am 2024-01-11 18:15, schrieb Rodney W. Grimes:
Am 2024-01-10 22:49, schrieb Mark Millard:

> I never use atime, always noatime, for UFS. That said, I'd never
> propose
> changing the long standing defaults for commands and calls. I'd avoid:

[good points I fully agree on]

There's one possibility which nobody talked about yet... changing the
default to noatime at install time in fstab / zfs set.

Perhaps you should take a closer look at what bsdinstall does
when it creates a zfs install pool and boot environment, you
might just find that noatime is already set everywhere but
on /var/mail:

/usr/libexec/bsdinstall/zfsboot:: ${ZFSBOOT_POOL_CREATE_OPTIONS:=-O compress=lz4 -O atime=off}
/usr/libexec/bsdinstall/zfsboot:        /var/mail       atime=on

While zfs is a part of what I talked about, it is not the complete picture. bsdinstall covers UFS and ZFS, and we should keep them in sync in this regard. Ideally with an option the user can modify. Personally I don't mind if the default setting for this option would be noatime. A quick serach in the scripts of bsdinstall didn't reveal to me what we use for UFS. I assume we use atime.

I fully agree to not violate POLA by changing the default to noatime in any FS. I always set noatime everywhere on systems I take care about, no
exceptions (any user visible mail is handled via maildir/IMAP, not
mbox). I haven't made up my mind if it would be a good idea to change
bsdinstall to set noatime (after asking the user about it, and later
maybe offer  the possibility to use relatime in case it gets
implemented). I think it is at least worthwile to discuss this
possibility (including what the default setting of bsdinstall should be
for this option).

Little late... iirc its been that way since day one of zfs support
in bsdinstall.

Which I don't mind, as this is what I use anyway. But the correct way would be to let the user decide.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF