On 12 Feb, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 9:15 PM Don Lewis <truck...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12 Feb, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>> > Might be an overheating. Today's nvme drives are notoriously flaky if you
>> > run them without proper heat sink attached to it.
>>
>> I don't think it is a thermal problem.  According to the drive health
>> page, the device temperature has never reached Temperature 2, whatever
>> that is.  The room temperature is around 65F.  The system was stable
>> last summer when the room temperature spent a lot of time in the 80-85F
>> range.  The device temperature depends a lot on the I/O rate, and the
>> last panic happened when the I/O rate had been below 40tps for quite a
>> while.
>>

> It did reach temperature 1, though. That's the 'Warning this drive is too
> hot' temperature. It has spent 41213 minutes of your 19297 hours of up
> time, or an average of 2 minutes per hour. That's too much. Temperature
> 2 is critical error: we are about to shut down completely due to it
> being too hot. It's only a couple degrees below hardware power off
> due to temperature in many drives. Some really cheap ones don't really
> implement it at all. On my card with the bad heat sink, Warning temp is
> 70C while critical is 75C while IIRC thermal shutdown is 78C or 80C.
>
> I don't think we report these values in nvmecontrol identify. But you can
> do a raw dump with -x look at bytes 266:267 for warning and 268:269
> for critical.
>
> In contrast, the few dozen drives that I have, all of which have been
> abused in various ways, And only one of them has any heat issues,
> and that one is an engineering special / sample with what I think is
> a damaged heat sink. If your card has no heat sink, this could well
> be what's going on.
>
> This panic means "the nvme card lost its mind and stopped talking
> to the host". Its status registers read 0xff's, which means that the card
> isn't decoding bus signals. Usually this means that the firmware on the
> card has faulted and rebooted. If the card is overheating, then this could
> well be what's happening.
>
> There's a tiny chance that this could be something more exotic,
> but my money is on hardware gone bad after 2 years of service. I don't think
> this is 'wear out' of the NAND (it's only 15TB written, but it could be if
> this
> drive is really really crappy nand: first generation QLC maybe, but it seems
> too new). It might also be a connector problem that's developed over time.
> There might be a few other things too, but I don't think this is a U.2 drive
> with funky cables.

The system was probably idle the majority of those two years of power on
time.

It's one of these:
https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/intel-660p-512-gb.d437
I've seen comments that these generally don't need cooling.

I just ordered a heatsink with some nice big fins, but it will take a
week or more to arrive.