There's a tiny chance that this could be something more exotic,
but my money is on hardware gone bad after 2 years of service. I don't think
this is 'wear out' of the NAND (it's only 15TB written, but it could be if
this
drive is really really crappy nand: first generation QLC maybe, but it seems
too new). It might also be a connector problem that's developed over time.
There might be a few other things too, but I don't think this is a U.2 drive
with funky cables.
The system was probably idle the majority of those two years of power on
time.

It's one of these:
https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/intel-660p-512-gb.d437
I've seen comments that these generally don't need cooling.

I just ordered a heatsink with some nice big fins, but it will take a
week or more to arrive.

just wanted to add another data-point to this discussion.  i had a crucial NVME drive on my workstation that recently was showing similar problems.  after much debugging i came to the same conclusion that it was getting too hot.  i went ahead an purchased a Sabrent NVME drive that came with a heat sink.  i've also starting making much more use of my workstation (and the disk subsystem) and have had zero issues.

so lessons learnt:

1. M.2 nvme really does need proper cooling, much more so than traditional SATA/SAS/SCSI drives.

2. not all vendors do a great job reporting the health of devices

-pete

--
Pete Wright
p...@nomadlogic.org