On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 03:30:54PM -0700, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Evan Oldford wrote:
>
> > > This happens whenever I shutdown the system too. It tries to unmount one of
> > > the partitions and hangs before the "dirty flag" is removed from any of the
> > > partitions. Thats why all the partitions are checked/repaired by fsck
> > > _everytime_ I boot.
> >     Did you take the "device apm" out of your kernel?
> >     I saw this same behavior on my laptop when I took apm out
> >     of my kernel.  When I put it back in  everything was
> >     back to normal.
>
> I saw this same behavior 1-2 weeks ago on my -current desktop without
> apm.  Now...
>
> FreeBSD storm.adept.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Aug  8
> 20:34:08 PDT 2000     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/STORM
> i386
>
> ...I do not see the behavior when I reboot.

A make world with the updated sources didn't solve the problem. I had to put
"device apm" back in the kernel.
I put it in some weeks ago because I wanted to try out automatic powerdown.
But since it didn't work I removed the "device apm" line and it seems like
that caused the umount problem.

___
Benedikt Schmidt