<<On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:53:09 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

> -On [20000822 17:30], Ollivier Robert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> Brian, I'm afraid you broke libutil... Every program using libutil now must
>> depend on libcrypt too.

No.  This is precisely why shared libraries have dependencies.  For
static linking, what Brian has done Just Works.  For dynamic linking,
libutil needs to depend on libcrypt to get its symbols resolved.
(Alternatively you might be able to do it with weak symbols.)