> What names do you usually access your disks by ?  Just da0a etc ?

da0{a,b,c,d} and so on..

> You should be able to find those as well with the clone stuff...

Nope. Weren't there.

I booted up once. I had 3 disks- none with a FreeBSD label. The
contents of /dev for da disks was /dev/da{0,1,2}[c].

So, I did the '-Brw da0 auto' and disklabel -e trick to add
a da0a to da0. disklabel happily saw da0a after this. Nothing
in /dev. Okay- so this kind of rescan doesn't work yet.

So, I reboot. The contents of dev still are /dev/da{0,1,2}[c]. I mostly
was raising this to see if someone else has tried alpha in this regard.
If not- I can help debug this and fix it, but next week.

-matt