In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bruce Eva
ns writes:
>On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
>
>> With very latest kernel I got lots of
>>
>> microuptime() went backwards (1.3624050 -> 1.998840)
>>
>> messages just before
>>
>> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>
>It really does go backwards.  This is caused by the giant lock preventing
>the clock interrupt task from running soon enough.  The giant lock can
>also prevent the clock interrupt task from running often enough even
>after booting.  E.g., "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null bs=large" does
>several bad things.

Yes, we are royally hosed right now with respect to interrupt service.

It's a testimony to the robustness of the majority of our drivers that
they don't explode more often than they do.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe