jwright> freebsd:/etc# newaliases
jwright> /etc/aliases: 41 aliases, longest 56 bytes, 784 bytes total
jwright> hash map "Alias1": unsafe map file
jwright> /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo.db: Permission denied WARNING: cannot
open alias database /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo Cannot create database for
alias file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo

jwright> But, believe you me, the /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo *is*
jwright> present, and I am running as root.

This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.32