On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 12:41:29PM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> At 11 Oct 2000 18:43:14 GMT,
> John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I don't know.  Can you try to narrow down the date by cvsupping or
> > cvs updating with date tags to see when it started slowing down?
>
> I've checked with -D '2000-10-03 00:00:00 GMT' and -D '2000-10-04
> 12:00:00 GMT'.  With previous kernel, "time find /usr/obj" returns 65
> seconds, but with later kernel, it returns 547 seconds (/usr/obj is
> NFS mounted from localhost).
>
> Top command shows many processes locked with MUTEX status.  It seems
> this is caused by jasone's commit at 3rd Oct...

Do you have the SMP_DEBUG kernel option enabled?

My changes added lots of mutexes to the kernel, and mtx_validate() iterates
through all mutexes for mtx_init() and mtx_destroy() calls if SMP_DEBUG is
enabled.  I'm working on a change that will use a pool of mutexes that are
allocated at boot time, which will make this slow down go away, but it may
be a while before it gets checked in.

Jason