On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:21:33PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> > Also, since 2.96 has not even been released yet, I assume the
> > maintainer (bruce, AFAIK) just makes sure that it builds and compiles
> > stuff OK and so by the time 5.0 will be released and hopefully 2.96
> > too, we just have to push the button and it will be there.
>
> I can assert, with utmost authority ;-), that GCC 2.96 will never be
> released by the GCC team.

Correct, and FreeBSD 5.0 will ship with 5.0+ release.
The import and use of GCC 2.96(7) in FreeBSD-CURRENT is to support
development of the IA-64, x86-64, and PPC ports.  Since FreeBSD-CURRENT
is not a release and is a tool to use in getting to 5.0, we didn't mind
importing a non-released version of GCC.  Note that FreeBSD's warning of
don't expect stability in -CURRENT will also be very true of the this
compiler.

--
-- David  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])