On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:50:29PM +0400, Andrej Cernov wrote:

> It is because /dev/random totally ignore _time_ and not reseed from it,
> but no other randomness source available at boot time.

We should probably be using the time since boot as ONE thing we seed
with, but it only provides maybe 3-4 bits of randomness - meaning if
thats all you seed with then your attacker has to brute-force 3-4 bits
of state to break the PRNG state as it was at boot time, hardly a
difficult challenge :-)

Kris

          • ... Doug Barton
          • ... Terry Lambert