In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Doug
 Barton writes:
>On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Ed Hall wrote:
>
>> How about skipping the "long, annoying failover process" altogether and
>> simply logging to the console that the entropy reseeding process was
>> incomplete?  Forcing an indeterminate delay to gather entropy is more
>> than a little paternalistic.
>
>       The problem is, it's going to block somewhere. If we don't
>"block" while creating the entropy, the first thing that needs random bits
>is going to block for real because /dev/random isn't going to have
>anything to feed it.
>
>       We must come up with an entropy reseeding mechanism that has a
>reasonably high degree of success for a reasonably high number of cases.

I think the strategy here is to feed it as much as we can from the
kernel during device-probe/attach as possible.

I don't really care that much how good my random bits are right after
boot, but I do care about my machine coming up quickly.

Add a /etc/rc.conf knob which says

        wait_until_entropy_collected=YES

which people who care a lot about randomness can set.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

          • ... Mark Murray
          • ... Matt Dillon
          • ... David O'Brien
          • ... Doug Barton