On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 12:58:28AM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Glendon Gross wrote:
> > Is it possible to use the old Intel EtherExpress-16 cards with FreeBSD?
>
> The driver was broken a while back and I'm right in the middle of trying
> to fix it.  I've actually given up on the FreeBSD driver and ported the
> NetBSD driver with mixed success.  I've got 3c503 boards working great but
> the EE16s are really nasty and I'm still tracking down a few issues.
>
> You might try the attached patch against sys/dev/ie/if_ie.c though as I'm
> not quite ready to commit what I've got.

Without looking at any of your code, I would kindly like to ask you not
to look at the Linux driver for eexpress too much - it's severely broken
and has all kinds of timing problems that can crash boxes at predictable
moments (some boxes crash when you ifconfig, some crash when you run
tcpdump [probably on the switch to PROMISC]). Slower boxes seem to work
better.

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks