On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 12:23:08PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> : > I think that make has no business doing an implicit make obj for the
> : > all target.
> : Someone has to run `make obj' for the modules tree.  How are you doing it
> : locally?
>
> Right now we do it twice.  Once in make dpeend and again in make
> all.  My patch removes it from make all.
..snip..
> I'm not sure what you're criteria for a robust world is here.  If the
> directory doesn't exist, it will warn the user.

It doesn't warn the user, it errors out (possibly a suttle distinction
I'm making).  Also in the past a `make depend' for the kernel was not
required.  Just highly suggested.  Are we really prepared to make it a
requirement now?

To tell the truth, IMHO the modules should just build in the current
directory (and thus could share some .o's with the kernel build).

--
-- David  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX