In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "David O'Brien" writes:
: It doesn't warn the user, it errors out (possibly a suttle distinction
: I'm making).  Also in the past a `make depend' for the kernel was not
: required.  Just highly suggested.  Are we really prepared to make it a
: requirement now?

I am, but others might not be.

: To tell the truth, IMHO the modules should just build in the current
: directory (and thus could share some .o's with the kernel build).

Me too.  I'm tired of building things twice :-)

Warner