On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:42:51 PST, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I would try a new kernel, and perhaps some collabaration with John
> to debug these problems rather than just complaining about the
> situation.  I see at least two experianced developers in the CC
> list, there's no reason for these poor bug reports.

The problem with a hard lock-up out of which you can't escape into the
debugger is that it makes meaningful bug reports impossible.  My non-SMP
workstation has exhibited apparently arbitrary lock-ups since the advent
of SMPng.

I thought I was the only one, since my question on the freebsd-current
mailing list went unanswered.

>From my understanding, John's WITNESS code allows us to break into the
debugger from within interrupt context.  If the lock-ups are happening
in there, then this may help us provide better bug reports.

Oh, and a couple of deep breaths are probably in order. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.