Brian Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> types:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 01:02:09PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > The problem is that *it doesn't work*. Well, not very well. Part of it
> > is that it's only given lip service: the porters handbook says "make
> > your ports PREFIX clean"; portlint doesn't do any checking about it.
> > The porters handbook doesn't even provide instructions on how to test
> > for whether or not a port is PREFIX clean. Making things LOCALBASE
> > clean isn't even suggested.
> Just to nitpick this one statement, PREFIX is set to LOCALBASE (see
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk) so if PREFIX is honoured by the port, then
> LOCALBASE will be honoured by default.  Not doing it this way would
> not allow you to override PREFIX for one particular port.  Thus if you
> set LOCALBASE to /usr/opt in /etc/make.conf for instance, but for port
> "foo" you want it to go somewhere else, you can build that with make
> PREFIX=/usr/local/foo, for instance.  If foo honoured LOCALBASE
> instead, it would ignore your one-time PREFIX override.  Thus PREFIX
> is the correct thing for the ports to worry about, not LOCALBASE,
> LOCALBASE just being the default value for PREFIX.

My bad - I coined the phrase "LOCALBASE clean" to describe a situation
I've seen, without explaining the meaning. Wherease "PREFIX clean"
means "all installed files are in the PREFIX tree", I intend
"LOCALBASE clean" to mean "all files installed by other ports are
looked for in the LOCALBASE tree". The porters handbook explains this,
but doesn't even mention that it's something that could break your
ports build if you don't obey it.

        <mike