"Alexander N. Kabaev" wrote:

> > But I remember some posts about a lpt panic some days ago. I tried to
> > compile a new kernel because I think this is resolved, but I have to
> > solve some problems with my system at the moment.
>
> My -CURRENT used to crash every time lpr has been used but the panic went away
> when John Baldwin committed his ithread cleanup megapatch:
>
>   jhb         2001/02/09 09:47:47 PST
>
>    Modified files:
>      sys/i386/i386        nexus.c
>      sys/i386/isa         intr_machdep.c intr_machdep.h ithread.c
>    Log:
>    Use the MI ithread helper functions in the x86 interrupt code.
>
> The kernel from Feb 9 worked just fine for me, but then the following
> commit has been made and the system started to crash again:
>
>   jhb         2001/02/09 18:41:51 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/i386/isa         ithread.c
>   Log:
>   Re-enable preemption on interrupts.  My last commit accidentally reverted
>   it as I was playing with some other ways of doing kernel preemption.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.14      +9 -2      src/sys/i386/isa/ithread.c
>
> If you badly need your printer to work, you can simply revert this patch.

Looking at these patches, it seems that this patch doesn't actually CAUSE
the problem, but, rather, 'allows it to be noticed'.
BDE made an analysis I think in January some time
but I didn't really follow it because it didn't effect me at the time
(no printer). I'm not completely sure if that was the same problem
though.

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001