Dima Dorfman wrote:
> "David O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 09:06:20PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > I seem to recall Paul Saab has a set for both -current and -stable.
> >
> > Someone else also just posted a URL to a set of patches.
> > Is Paul going to commit his, or can I take this on and commit the ones
> > posted?
>
> Are you talking about se's patches to make softdep a mount option, or
> my newfs patch to optionally enable softdep during newfs?  The former
> isn't something you can just drop in.  You'd have to decide if softdep
> should be the default.  If softdep is made the default, then those who
> don't use it for a reason have to add "nosoftdep" to the appropriate
> lines in /etc/fstab.  If softdep isn't made the default, then those
> who do use softdep have to add "softdep" to the appropriate lines to
> /etc/fstab.  Either way, it isn't something that can silently (i.e.,
> without a heads up or something like that) go in.  AFAIK there's no
> problem with the latter (my newfs patch) except that it will be made
> obsolete when the former goes in.

The version of the patch for -current uses the softdep mount option only.
If you remove the mount option, you dont get softupdates.

Paul tweaked it to be backwards compatable for -stable so that it didn't
require people to update their fstab.  You can still use the softdep option
in the mount flag to enable softupdates, but existing file systems would
remain in softdep mode if they had been activated by tunefs in the past.

IMHO, that caters for POLA enough that we can use it.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]