On Sunday, 11 March 2001 at  3:27:02 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010311 02:29] wrote:
>>
>> I'll sneak in my experience with DEVFS+vinum here as well:
>>
>>   vinum: loaded
>>   vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da3s1f
>>   vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da1s1e
>>   vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da2s1e
>>   vinum: updating configuration from /dev/da0s1e
>>   swapon: adding /dev/da1s1b as swap device
>>   swapon: adding /dev/da2s1b as swap device
>>   Automatic boot in progress...
>>   /dev/da0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
>>   /dev/da0s1a: clean, 406977 free (1049 frags, 50741 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
>>   Can't stat /dev/vinum/raid01: No such file or directory
>>   Can't stat /dev/vinum/raid01: No such file or directory
>>   /dev/vinum/raid01: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
>>   /dev/vinum/raid01: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>>
>> This was with a -current from around March 1. (don't think
>> anything has changed since).  Booting a non-DEVFS kernel
>> passes the fs-check and works as expected.
>
> Vinum+DEVFS doesn't make the million symlinks that non-devfs
> vinum does.

The only symlinks that the non-devfs version makes are to the drives.
Everything else is device nodes.  But yes, it doesn't make as many
device nodes, and that is a Good Thing.

> Try using /dev/vinum/vol/raid01 instead of /dev/vinum/raid01
>
> (notice you need the '/vol/' path component)

I missed that.  This is not correct.  The directory /dev/vinum/vol
should go away.

Greg
--
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key