* Greg Lehey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010311 21:20] wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2001 at 20:39:03 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Greg Lehey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010311 15:21] wrote:

> >> The only symlinks that the non-devfs version makes are to the drives.
> >> Everything else is device nodes.  But yes, it doesn't make as many
> >> device nodes, and that is a Good Thing.

> >> I missed that.  This is not correct.  The directory /dev/vinum/vol
> >> should go away.
> >
> > Er, too late. :)
> >
> > On a devfs system here's what you'll see:

> > total 0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91, 0x40000001 Feb 22 21:26 Control
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91, 0x40000002 Feb 22 21:26 control
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91, 0x40000000 Feb 22 21:26 controld
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel         0 Mar 11 03:24 plex
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel         0 Mar 11 03:24 sd
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel         0 Mar 11 03:24 vol
> >
> > /dev/vinum/plex:
> > total 0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91,   1 Feb 22 21:26 vinum0.p0
> >
> > /dev/vinum/sd:
> > total 0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91,   2 Feb 22 21:26 vinum0.p0.s0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91, 0x10000002 Feb 22 21:26 vinum0.p0.s1
> >
> > /dev/vinum/vol:
> > total 0
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   91,   0 Feb 22 21:26 vinum0
> >

> > I'd like to keep it this way, it just makes sense.
>
> No, that's a gratuitous change.  All the docco talks about keeping the
> volumes in the main directory.  That's why people are having trouble.
> Yes, it looks more uniform, but the objects aren't uniform.

Since both you and Poul refused to fix the code I choose how I thought
it should be.  Can you explain why:

> Yes, it looks more uniform, but the objects aren't uniform.

It just doesn't make sense to me to mix these device nodes in
with the control/Control/controld nodes.  Also, why not have
a /dev/vinum/ctl/ directory for those nodes?

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]]