On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 12:41:09 +0000, David Malone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 07:52:49AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
> > Thanks so much! I wonder how come this bug remained unnoticed for such
> > a long time!
>
> AFAIK, this isn't a bug. It's what csh has always done. (It's what
> IBM and Sun's csh do anyway...) To echo a newline in csh you do
> 'echo ""'.

If this bug is rotten in csh as designed, it not means that it isn't
the bug.

Lets look from other side: "echo" is internal csh command which replace
/bin/echo for speed reasons. /bin/echo;/bin/echo;/bin/echo produce 3 \n,
so internal command must do the same in any case.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/