"Bruce A. Mah" wrote:
> --==_Exmh_-1701844519P
>
> If memory serves me right, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > "Michael C . Wu" wrote:
> > > On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 04:13:17PM -0600, Michael C . Wu scribbled:
> > >

> > > I have just finished making the patch to fix this problem.
> > > I will start the buildworld now.  In the mean time,
> > > if someone has a fast box, please test the patch at
> > >
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~keichii/fix-current-broken-man-build.diff
> >
> > I kinda object to backing this stuff out.  The problem is elsewhere.  This
> > stuff builds correctly on its own, it is something wrong with the world
> > environment.  eg: do a 'make install' in src/share/mk and the world works
> > fine.  Since this seems to be needed, the problem is in 'world', not these
> > makefiles.
>
> Huh?!?
>
> Ruslan's commit was intended to remove (most of the) MAN8= definitions
> in certain Makefiles.  That's great.
>
> Unfortunately, in some cases, he also removed SRCS= definitions, which is
> not so good inasmuch as it breaks buildworld.  Either he deleted too
> much out of the Makefiles, or the SRCS= removal was intentional and
> should have been documented in the commit message (as far as I can tell
> this has *nothing* to do with manpages).
>
> Michael's patch (which unbreaks buildworld) only backs out the SRCS=
> changes.
>
> Feel free to hand me a giant clue if I'm missing something really
> obvious.  In other words, is world *supposed* to build in the absence of
> SRCS= definitions?
>
> Bruce.

If SRCS is undefined, then SRCS=${PROG}.c.  ie:

peter@daintree[7:30pm]~src/usr.sbin/sicontrol-283> grep SRCS Makefile
peter@daintree[7:30pm]~src/usr.sbin/sicontrol-284> make -V SRCS
sicontrol.c
peter@daintree[7:30pm]~src/usr.sbin/sicontrol-285> make -V PROG
sicontrol

Adding back SRCS=prog.c explicitly is not the solution.  It is just hiding
a problem elsewhere.

We use this extensively elsewhere, eg:

peter@daintree[7:31pm]~src/bin/cat-290> cat Makefile
#       @(#)Makefile    8.1 (Berkeley) 5/31/93
# $FreeBSD: src/bin/cat/Makefile,v 1.5 1999/08/27 23:13:32 peter Exp $

PROG=   cat

.include <bsd.prog.mk>

Right now, the problem appears to be src/usr.sbin/amd/* only.

The amd/Makefile.inc has:  SRCS+=          config_local.h   etc.
This stops the
.if !defined(SRCS)
SRCS=${PROG}.c
.endif
in bsd.prog.mk from working.

peter@daintree[7:36pm]~src/usr.sbin/amd/mk-amd-map-112> make -V SRCS
config_local.h mount.h nfs_prot.h

ie: bsd.prog.mk never gets around to providing the base definition of SRCS.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]