Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:20:17 +0200
        From: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        To: Kirk McKusick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
           Peter Wemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
           Paul Saab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
           Soeren Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: vm page panic

        Hi guys,

        ok, sources cvsupped yesterday afternoon, just before my ffs_alloc.c
        commit [which I did, obviously, add myself locally].

        Box had been running for a while when all of a sudden it got into a
        panic:

        vm_page_alloc: free/cache page 0xc0776fa4 was dirty

        a trace in ddb shows:

        allocbuf()
        getblk()
        ffs_balloc()
        ffs_write()
        vn_rdwr()
        elf_coredump()
        coredump()

        Unfortunately my ata controller didn't get reprobed [just was hanging
        there] so I couldn't get a crashdump. =( [HPT366]

        So consider this a heads-up, since you might encounter this.

        Extra info:

        devfs running,
        / is normal FFS
        /tmp, /var, /usr, /storage all soft-updated.

        --
        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai .oUo. asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org]
        Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best

The latest round of changes to ffs_alloc.c add code which is only ever
used by background fsck which is not yetbeing used. So, it seems
very unlikely that your panic has been triggered byv these changes.

        Kirk