* Alfred Perlstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010326 19:57] wrote:
> * Bill Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010326 16:05] wrote:
> Why can't you just enable sigio on the reply socket, send all the
> requests with a 0 timeout and then wait for a signal to either
> interrupt the sending or to notify you when you complete sending?
> Your solution seems awfully complex for what seems to be a simple
> problem; doing a directed broadcast and taking the first answer you
> get back.
> Is the whole reason you need to do this because you're using the
> xid to differentiate between the servers?

If that's true then you have a couple of options...

We could add a hack to our version of the rpc library to
allow manipulation/query of the xid.  Or if the reply's source
doesn't match any of the destinations you can remember it and
send out another ping to that address.

Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.