>On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:28:59PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>wrote:
>> An increasing number of executables on that box are sporting ever
>> newer mtimes.  This appears to have been going on ever since the
>> Jul 25 update.  There is no clear pattern which executables are
>> touched.  md5 comparisons with previous backup levels (using a Jul 13
>> copy of md5) suggest that the executables have not been changed.
>>
>> For various reasons I consider it unlikely that I'm dealing with a
>> security issue here, although I'm looking into that as well.
>>
>> Can anybody think of a technical explanation?
>
>Probably the recent change (IIRC) that someone turned running an
>executable into a mtime change.

   There was no such change. I proposed a change that would update the atime,
but that was not committed because it has some bad side effects.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.