Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Robert Watson writes:
> | On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> | > <<On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:58:59 -0700, Mike Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sai
    d:

> | > FSVO ``useful''.  It's a real PITA to have to physically unplug the
> | > machine when the kernel is wedged rather than have the power button
> | > turn off the power.  (The machine in question does not have a reset
> | > switch.)  As a sometime developer, I may well have a reason to power
> | > the system off without performing any kind of shutdown.
> |
> | Most systems with soft power will perform a hard powerdown if you hold
> | down the power button for a sufficiently long period of time (10 - 20
> | seconds).
>
> Correct ... and unfortunately it's done in hardware so you can trap it :-(
> In some applications you want to make it really hard for someone to be
> able to turn it off when a "power off" is not equivalent to "pull the
> plug" and the "pull the plug" is safer for the system due to power supply
> design.

Most systems have a 4-second override so that holding down the power button
for 4 seconds forces it off.  However, my vaio is not one of these.  I've
had the joy of having to unplug the power and then remove the battery to
get out of an acpi wedge.

Anyway, IMHO, this is the least of our problems.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]