Actually, I was already at 5.0-CURRENT.

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT (CHINA) #7: Thu May 10 05:25:14 CDT 2001

- brian

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Please try the attached patch.  I'm going to attempt to unbreak
> the upgrade path from 4.1-RELEASE to 5.0-CURRENT sometimes in
> the near future.
>
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:15:00AM -0500, Wm Brian McCane wrote:
> > I am having problems doing a buildworld.  When I run it, I get the
> > following error:
> >
> > cd /home/src/usr.bin/xinstall;  make obj;  make depend;  make all;  make
> > install
> > cc -O -pipe    -I/usr/obj/home/src/i386/usr/include   -static -o xinstall
> > xinstall.o
> > xinstall.o: In function `main':
> > xinstall.o(.text+0x8f): undefined reference to `strtofflags'
> >
> > I checked in /usr/lib/libc.a and got:
> >
> > root@china (/usr/src)> nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep strtofflags
> > strtofflags.o:
> > 00000088 T strtofflags
> >
> > So I know it exists.  I did a 'ranlib /usr/lib/libc.a', and also did an
> > 'ar s /usr/lib/libc.a', neither seemed to help.  I did an upgrade from
> > install floppies to the 20010909 snapshot from current.freebsd.org, and I
> > still get the same error.  I was able to rebuild my kernel successfully
> > after I updated, so I know the compiler and linker are mostly working.
> >
> > I tried to rebuild some out of date utilites (zip-5.40 upgrade to
> > zip-5.42), as another experiment and I get:
> >
> > cc -o zip -s zip.o zipfile.o zipup.o fileio.o util.o globals.o crypt.o
> > ttyio.o  unix.o crc32.o crctab.o deflate.o trees.o match.o crc_i386.o
> > fileio.o: In function `tempname':
> > fileio.o(.text+0xc8e): warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider
> > using mkstemp()
> > unix.o: In function `version_local':
> > unix.o(.text+0x8a2): undefined reference to `__xuname'
> >
> > Once again I checked with 'nm' and I got:
> >
> > root@china (/usr/ports/archivers/zip)> nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep __xuname
> >          U __xuname
> >          U __xuname
> > __xuname.o:
> > 00000000 T __xuname
> >
> > So it also exists.  Then, out of boredom/desperation, I did:
> >
> > root@china (/tmp)> ar x /usr/lib/libc.a __xuname.o
> > root@china (/tmp)> ar ruv /usr/lib/libc.a __xuname.o
> > r - __xuname.o
> > root@china (/tmp)> ranlib /usr/lib/libc.a
> >
> > And I still get the same results from the make in zip.
> >

> > Anybody else have another suggestion?
>
> --
> Ruslan Ermilov                Oracle Developer/DBA,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Sunbay Software AG,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FreeBSD committer,
> +380.652.512.251      Simferopol, Ukraine
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org        The Power To Serve
> http://www.oracle.com Enabling The Information Age

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://bmccane.maxbaud.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://www.sellit-here.com/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://recall.maxbaud.net/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"        \ http://www.maxbaud.net/