It would be trivial to write a driver, like uscanner, that does the
collection of two endpoints into one bidirectional file descriptor.

Endpoints are the pipes that USB communicates over, and due to sloppy
documentation in the USB spec. implementors of firmware didn't realise
that 1-in and 1-out are different endpoints. If 1-in and 1-out would
have been used, ugen0.1 could have been used bidirectionally and all
would have been well.

Nick