The build and all goes well, but after a reboot. the kernel boots and
just hangs on the acpi_cpu and refuses to go further.

deleting the acpi.ko in /boot/kernel solves the problem for me. Is there
any way to _disable_ acpi all together? I tried doing it from the boot
menu (using unload and disable-module), rummaging through the /boot
forth scripts also yielded no success, but it still gets loaded.
Eventually just deleting the module made my box boot on.

My CURRENT machine is a Compaq Presario 17XL380 laptop. Is the ACPI on that
machine broken or misfeatured? Any info I can provide to help?

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Spark's Sixth Rule for Managers:
        If a subordinate asks you a pertinent question, look at him as