On Monday, 18 February 2002 at 23:22:28 -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>>
>>> So, John's last few months of work is junk then, is it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -Peter
>>> --
>>> Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>>     I'll tell you what is junk... patches for things like getuid() sitting
>>     in P4 (whether instrumented or not).  That's junk.
>>
>>     I'll tell what is NOT junk.  What isn't junk are things like John's more
>>     complex patch to kern_descrip.c.  There's real work involved there
>>     that can be salvaged, and which can be committed to the -current
>>     piecemeal if Giant is properly instrumented.
>>
>>     The biggest problem is that all of this stuff is sitting in P4 and none
>>     of it belongs there.
>
> With all due respect, bullshit!  The p4 tree exists only as an
> alternative to people having large uncommitted diffs sitting in
> checked out cvs trees.
>
> Mailing patches between people trying to work in parallel is a
> bigger waste of time.  That is inherently single threaded.

While I don't agree with dillon's tone, I can understand his
frustration.  There is a lack of communication in the SMP project.  I
might have done more myself if I had been able to follow it without
being on IRC 24 hours a day.  I suspect that this applies to other
people as well.

Note that dillon has suffered because of this.  He has gone and done
what looks like being unnecessary work.  When he tries to commit it,
he finds that somebody else has been working on it, and despite a
kernel summit only a couple of days ago, he didn't know about it.

I'm not picking on jhb here.  This is the project's fault, not any
individual's.  We need some kind of project management to coordinate
this effort, or the results will be seriously suboptimal.  I would
certainly not like to see dillon go away because it's too difficult to
work with the project.

Greg