On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rasmus Skaarup writes:

> >> Yes, that would be possible.
> >
> >Have you given any thought to how that might be implemented? If somekind
> >of ID is required to identify the same disk via multiple paths, in which
> >part of GEOM will this be implemented?
> >

> Basically when a new "g_provider" is created it is offered to each method
> in turn and if that method likes it, it can stick g_geom on top of it.

Ahh.. But do you rule out the possibility that two methods could apply to
a g_provider? Or is this even a problem?

> How you would recognize the same disk on thre different paths is a good
> question.  We could implement (if we don't already have it) an
> ioctl/BIO_GETATTR which returns the serial number(s) of the diskdevice
> and you could query that.

Hmm, but I'm not sure all kinds of storage devices have serialnumbers that
could be fetched (tape devices for instance?) and can we rely on the
hardware manufacturers to provide unique serialnumbers?

Best regards,
Rasmus Skaarup