In the last episode (Jun 01), Terry Lambert said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Jun 01), Marc G. Fournier said:
> > > Performed a 'make buildworld' successfully, but as soon as I
> > > tried the 'installworld', when its trying to do the install of
> > >, it gives an error to the effect of:
> > >
> > > /usr/libexec/ /usr/lib/ Undefined symbol "SYS_uuidgen"
> >
> > Sounds like your kernel and userland are out of synch.  Try
> > installing a new kernel, and rerunning installworld.  You may need
> > to build the kernel on another machine if you can't roll back your
> > libc.  It's always a good idea to back up libc before a world build
> > :)
> "Undefined symbol", not "Undefined system call".
> Sounds more like the sys "include" files were not installed before
> the libc was built, since there's a silly script that translates
> /usr/include/sys/syscall.h to stubs.

Yes, that's it.  I remember having the same problem with the addition
of lchflags last month.  Maybe the buildworld should do a "make
includes" into the build tree and use those when building libc?
(wouldn't have helped me, as I very rarely build world, but rebuild
libraries and bins manually if I need a new feature)
> Generally, I'd expect the version number to bump before
> seeing this problem, anyway.  8-(.  Looks like someone failed to
> bump a version number.

You only bump the version when an ABI changes or a function disappears,
afaik.  We promise backwards compatibility, not forwards.  And I don't
think we want to bump versions on -current anyway; 4.* has,
5.0-RELEASE will have .so.5.

        Dan Nelson