On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:00:29PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:47:09 +0200, Robert Drehmel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>said:
>
> > You are right.  However, I still consider it a bug.  :-)
>
> The standard says that the behavior is ``undefined''.  That means that
> you computer is allowed to turn into a frog.  Actually doing something
> useful is also permitted.

And since it is clearly documented, awk(1) says,

   Records
       Normally,  records  are  separated  by newline characters.
       You can control how records  are  separated  by  assigning
       values  to  the built-in variable RS.  If RS is any single
       character, that character separates  records.   Otherwise,
       RS  is  a  regular  expression.   Text  in  the input that
       matches this regular expression will separate the  record.
       However,  in  compatibility mode, only the first character
       of its string value is used for separating records.  If RS
       is  set  to the null string, then records are separated by
       blank lines.  When RS is set to the null string, the  new-
       line  character always acts as a field separator, in addi-
       tion to whatever value FS may have.

It is not a bug.
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]