On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 03:13:15PM -0700, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:55:18PM +0300, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
>
> > This isn't a yesterdays problem, I've had this for a month or so.
> > The problem is explicit declaration of -march=p[234], use
> > CPUTYPE=i686 in /etc/make.conf and you get further. The second way
> > is to not set CPUTYPE at all, logic in /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk will
> > set -mcpu to what appears to fit.
>
> That's not true; it adds -mcpu=pentiumpro by default to optimize
> instruction scheduling for 686-class CPUs (without breaking binary
> compatibility down to i386s), but it doesnt "autodetect" anything, and
> you'll get better performance on a 686-class CPU by specifying it in
> CPUTYPE (since you'll then also get pentium pro instructions).
>
> -mcpu != -march

Yes I know and it was what I meant to say. By setting CPUTYPE=p[234]
excplicitly in /etc/make.conf you'll get the build failure in
XFree86-4-Server because bsd.cpu.mk will set excplicit -march, not
-mcpu. But the build error happens _only_ if one sets CPUTYPE=p[234]
and not in case CPUTYPE=i686, the latter sets -march=pentiumpro, not
-march=pentium[234]. Hope this is all clear now and sorry about
confusion, english isn't my native tongue after all.
--

Vallo Kallaste
[EMAIL PROTECTED]