On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:37:05PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> "David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
> > > If it's allowed, it whould probably only be allowed in the
> > > user name (i.e. the patch is wrong; it should probably add
> > > another parameter to the allowable values of 'int gecos', and
> > > change it to 'int checktype' or similar).
> >
> > I don't have a problem with this, but the patch I sent in is the
> > extent of my abilities to give me desired results(making pw like
> > samba)
>
> See attached patch.  It could still screw scripts (e.g. the perl
> script version of "adduser") by allowing the "$" in the login
> field, but at least it keeps it out of the login class and group
> fields.

That sounds great!

> I think you misunderstand.
>
> The intent is to allow accounts without "$" appended to be used
> as machine logins.  Samba would see the '$', remove it, and check
> normally.
>
> The proper "BSD way" to avoid this hack would be to add a login
> class "samba_server" (or whatever), and make Samba permit this
> type of check only if the user was in the correct login class.

Unfortunately they have to support more than just BSD, but I do agree
with you that there is probably a better way of doing things.  I am
just not technically inclined enough to bring this to the attention
of the samba team properly.  I do have some contacts I could forward
to anyone that is interested in trying to persuade them though.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>