Thus spake Terry Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > Thus spake Bruce Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> [ ... ]
> > I meant to say that sysinstall forces you to have a swap
> > partition, not that the kernel forces you to have one.  (That
> > would be an interesting catch-22 indeed.)  It's a bug in
> > sysinstall that you can't make it work without allocating swap
> > space, even if you don't need it, or you don't want to add it
> > immediately.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> | Bearing that in mind, the change that made a swap partition
> | ``mandatory'' was revision 1.117 of src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.c
>
> Preaching to the choir, I think... this was already in this
> same thread, last Wednesday.  Looks like nothing but rehashing,
> now.

Yes, it *is* rehashing what was already said.  Bruce's response
(``it's not mandatory'') suggests that he thought we were talking
about some sort of fundamental yet nonexistent problem, when in
fact we were talking about a sysinstall bug.  I was just clarifying.

BTW, revision 1.117 was not the first revision to have this bug.
That revision just made it stop bitching about partition sizes in
the case where you asked it to autosize.  This effectively means
that there are some configurations that are permitted if you use
auto defaults, and forbidden if you do things manually using
sysinstall.  Evil beyond words...