Hi,

Recently, I've been playing with booting a 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD-sparc64 machine via tftp/nfsroot. The problem that I encountered was that the machine was unable to lock files in it's / nfs-mounted partition, and thus I would miss a large amount of functionality (such as having users :))

divine# passwd
Changing local password for root
New Password:
Retype New Password:
passwd: could not lock the passwd file: : Operation not supported

My NFS server is a 4.7-RELEASE machine running the following daemons in order to perform NFS:
portmap
nfsd -u -t -n 4
mountd -r
rpc.statd
rpc.lockd

According to release notes for 4.7, server-side NFS locking is supposed to be functional. 5.0-DP2's release notes say that client-side as well as server-side locking is functional. So in theory, I should not be having the above issues.

Does anyone have a working setup with NFS locking tested and working? Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Sincerely,
Anthony Volodkin