On 2002-12-06 10:05, Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In any case, my installworld doesn't work, and I wonder if that's why.
> I did the following:
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> rebooted,
> and did mergemaster -p
> and make installworld
>
> as defined in handbook and Makefile in /usr/src.
> But I get this:
>
> Checking to see if your booted kernel is fresh enough..
> /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/sh/sh -c  'echo "Testing installed kernel for new
> sigaction
> (2) syscall"'
> Bad system call (core dumped)
> *** Error code 140
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> Interestingly enough, uname -a gives:
>
> 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #7

You didn't boot into the 5.0-CURRENT kernel.  One of the changes from
4.X to 5.X is that the kernel no longer lives in /kernel, but has been
moved to /boot/kernel/kernel (with the modules living under the same
directory too, /boot/kernel).

In order to boot into the new kernel, you have to interrupt the loader
at the "Press ENTER to boot or any other key ..." prompt, and type the
following at the OK loader prompt:

        OK unload
        OK load /boot/kernel/kernel
        OK boot -s

Then you will boot with the new kernel.

> I'm not clear on why this is - should it show up as 4.7 until installworld
> is successful? After make installkernel, I *do* have a newly dated /kernel
> file.

Look in /boot/kernel too :)