Kirk McKusick wrote:
> I suggest that we drag Thomas-Henning von Kamptz into this
> discussion as he was one of the main authors of growfs. He
> is copied on my reply.

Thanks.

FYI, I finally fixed things by doing what Julian suggested, which
is to copy / to /usr, reboot with /usr mounted as /, newfs /, and
then copy everything back.

So in summary my recommendation is to add a big warning to the
growfs(1) man page that is should not be run on the root partition,
even if you have booted single-user mode and haven't mounted / yet.
I.e., to grow a root partition, you must boot from a different partition.

-Archie