On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I put a copy of / in /usr
> > then from the fixit, I mounted /usr as / and ran growfs from there..
> > the trick is to not do it while / is mounted.
>
> / wasn't mounted yet when I ran growfs:
>
> > > I ran growfs after booting single user mode but before mounting
> > > any disks.. perhaps that caused it to not work.
>
> But it was the root partition and I was running in single user mode.
> If that's a problem then the growfs man page should say so, or maybe
> it should be more clear about what is meant by "mounted".

growfs won't work with any mounted fs (even ro) because it needs to
quiesce kenrel file ops and you can't do that from usermode (yet).  I
wonder if there might be some clever way to abuse snapshots to have this
same effect (i.e. keep an open handle to the underlying fs cdev for growfs
to use and then mount a snapshot of the fs over its own mountpoint for
procs to use.)

> In any case, running it from the fixit floppy didn't work either
> (got a core dump), but that may be because it was already screwed up.
>
> So at minimum, there's a documentation bug (IMHO).

I assume the superblock changes between 4 and 5 changed the ability to use
4.x growfs on 5.x ufs partitions.  Also, does growfs need to be updated
for ufs2?

-Nate