Gordon Tetlow wrote:

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:43:50PM -0800, Mike Makonnen wrote:

>The following patch should solve your problem. However,
>it's only a partial solution. It fixes the case for ntpd
>and ntpdate but not for other network daemons like rpcbind, which still get
>started _before_ the routing daemons. I haven't included patches for
>those because sorting out the dependencies is going to be a bit more
>involved. I'll have it done when I get a chance later this week.
>(A consequence of this is going to be that we will be moving *away* from
> NetBSD in the dependency ordering, but we can sort that out with them later).

I think keeping our boot scripts the same is kind of a pipe dream. I think
we should keep our rc.subr the same, but for individual scripts, I think we
should just go our own way.
I disagree. NetBSD uses the same ntpd as us, and, therefore, face the very same problem. They just haven't noticed the problem in practice.

On another note, I thought the patch a bit excessive. Here, I just added BEFORE: ntpd to routed. OTOH, it seems that patch did a bit more.

Anyway, as long as routed is run before ntpd on systems where it is active, I'm happy.

Nor do I think we need to get the patch in now, before 5.0-R. The kind of environment where the problem would show up is uncommon, and not likely to be found outside production settings, and 5.0-R is _not_ indicated for production settings.

--
Daniel C. Sobral
Gerência de Operações