That is where this issue is documented. However, it is incorrect. The proper hint is
in fact:

hint.acpi.0.disabled

While other ways exist, one way to solve the problem is:

To allow the install to boot, at the boot prompt type

unset acpi_load

Then, after the install, add

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

/boot/device.hints

The way I understand it, setting the above hint to 1 disables acpi. If acpi_load is
set and the above hint is not equal to 1, acpi will be loaded. So acpi_load is an
abstraction of the hint (less typing).

I also prefer that Those With Laptops have to deal with a more difficult install. (Are
they a smaller user base?)

Either way, the documentation should be probably be updated.  If someone with the
power to change the docs contacts me I'd be happy to submit an update.

Francis Barnhart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://francisbarnhart.com/