On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:39:36AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote the words in effect of:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Trevor Johnson wrote:
> > Before adding the ccd line to my kernel configuration file, I had
> > attempted to run ccdconfig while using just the GENERIC kernel (also
> > 5.0-RC3).  I suppos e I shouldn't have been surprised that it didn't work:
> >
> > -- begin log --
> > # ccdconfig ccd0 128 CCDF_UNIFORM /dev/da2 /dev/da3 /dev/da4 /dev/da5
> > fatal kernel trap:
> >     trap entry     = 0x4 (unaligned access fault)
> >     cpuid          = 1
> >     faulting va    = 0xe4a000000ed
> >     opcode         = 0x29
> >     register       = 0x1b
> >     pc             = 0xfffffe0002bd1f1c
> >     ra             = 0xfffffe0002bd1eec
> >     sp             = 0xfffffe00140898a0
> >     usp            = 0x11fff9f8
> >     curthread      = 0xfffffc0017efe1f0
> >         pid = 3658, comm = ccdconfig
> > panic: trap
> > cpuid = 1;
>
> Something in the automatic kldload then?  Unaligned access is usually a
> programming error.

I don't know how much this info can help, but I recently ported NetBSD's
BUS_SPACE_DEBUG functionality, which helped them a lot in fixing
unaligned access faults.  The patch needs a lil' cleaning up for other
architectures.  Most of the drivers in FreeBSD are heavily used on i386,
so it is beneficial to use BUS space debug, so that we can easily find
out errors, and fix 'em.

It reports someting like this: (taken from NetBSD sample)

        "buffer <address> not aligned to 2 bytes
        ../../../../dev/ic/aic6360.c:1426"

Let me know if anyone is interested in those patches.
Cheers.

--
Hiten Pandya ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/