Hi Warner.

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:47:07AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> devd works for me when I have devices in my machine at boot.  It does
> run the start script for me.  I just confirmed this on my machine.  I
> put my wi card in, booted and it picked up a dhcp address.
>
> What script are you trying to run?  What does your configuration file
> look like?

gruftie# uname -a
FreeBSD gruftie 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #6: Sat Feb  1 19:55:36 CET 2003
root@gruftie:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GRUFTIE  i386

(cvsup was just before buildkernel/buildworld - the version before was
about 4-5 days old and showed the same effect)

In /etc/devd.conf I added the following lines for my Lucent Orinoco Gold
Card (which works just fine when I plug in the pccard after the system
has started):

--- CUT HERE ---
attach 50 {
        device-name "wi[0-9]";
        action "/usr/local/etc/netconf/bin/netconf $device-name start";
};

detach 50 {
        device-name "wi[0-9]";
        action "/usr/local/etc/netconf/bin/netconf $device-name stop";
};
--- CUT HERE ---

This netconf script (yeah, I know, /usr/local/etc is not a good place
for something like that) is something I wrote which get's a bunch of
small config files for each known wireless network and then configures
the card to the first matching WLAN. This script logs to syslog and so I
know it is not even started on bootup, if the card is already plugged
in. If I take the pccard out and put it back in again, everything works
fine. Any ideas?

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |