On (2003/06/01 23:53), Narvi wrote:

> > The absence of credible Java support in FreeBSD has lost us significant
> > penetration in the past, and it would be disastrous if the perceptions
> > of the past shaped the future.
>
> credible rather sounds like 'comes on the installation cd, doesn't have
> significantly more bugs than linux/solaris/xxx version' 8-(

And I think we'll get there.

I'm currently doing some Java development on a FreeBSD-CURRENT
workstation using a native jdk14.  It's good enough for testing
components in a J2EE application server (JBoss), and performance is
comparable to that seen on an equivalent Windows workstation.

Would I use FreeBSD as a production J2EE server reliant on 1.4.1?  No.
But the time is coming, so don't write FreeBSD off just yet.

Ciao,
Sheldon.