Tim Kientzle wrote:

David O'Brien wrote:

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:08:58PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:

... I think [/rescue] only needs to support those
recovery actions necessary to repair /bin and /sbin if they break.

My stance is that no failure mode needs to
be repairable that wasn't repairable with a static /.

I'm willing to compromise, David.

Here's what I suggest:

* I could support removing vi/ex from /rescue.

 * In exchange for this concession, would you be willing
   to support adding fetch?

I expect this exchange would result in a net 150-200 kB
savings in /rescue.

How about it?

Tim

I think a better compromise is to add the make.conf option so that extra utilities may be added to /rescue. Then leave both vi and fetch out of the default.

With the size of disk drives these days, (for my own setup) I'm tempted to just add a complete copy of /bin and /sbin into /rescue. The extra 100 meg doesn't take much out of a 80 gig hard drive.

Richard Coleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]