On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Christopher Sedore writes:
>
> A new, faster event notification system would be great. But don't forget
> to include *all* events, not just file descriptor readability/writability.
> I.e., signal delivery, child exit notification, maybe even support for
> an arbitrary number of (independent) timers. And make the events independent
> from each other -- to avoid problems like when an application completely
> hangs for 90 seconds when it calls gethostbyname().

An async thread to do hostname lookups would be great! Wouldn't be too
hard in libc_r, would it? But in regular apps, setitimer and sigsetjmp()
would be a solution.

> -Archie

> Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/